Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bulgur Tabouli


My quest for high cuisine continues. (That's joke.) Today's recipe comes from the back of a box of Arrowhead Mills Organic Bulgur Wheat. I bought the box because it's wheat and it's healthy, right? Beyond that, I know not of Bulgur wheat. Luckily, the recipe is easy enough:

1 cup Bulgur Wheat
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Dash of garlic powder
2 tomatoes, diced
3 cups chopped fresh parsley
4 green onions, chopped with tops

Pour boiling water over bulgur wheat and salt.  Cover bulgur wheat for 30 minutes and let sit. Stir next three ingredients into bulgur and chill for 2-3 hours. Add tomatoes, parsley, and green onions and gently toss before serving on a bed of lettuce.

Optional additions are: chopped mint; fresh sliced mushrooms; diced green peppers; sliced radishes; bean sprouts; and/or sliced hard-cooked eggs.

I've never served it on a bed of lettuce, preferring to eat it straight up. Also, I add what whatever I have leftover in my produce drawer, be it green peppers, cukes, whatever. This is so easy to make. It takes some time to prepare, but the active time is minimal. It's delicious and nutritious and tastes just as good after a few days in the refrigerator as it does on the first day.

Now, if only someone would tell me what I'm supposed to do with wheat germ.

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered Bulgar Wheat too. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is old, but THANK YOU for posting this recipe!! I Cut this recipe out of the box several years ago because I loved it, the ONE time that I made it. I'm going to a Mediterranean themed potluck this weekend and decided I'd pull out this old gem. I found it (knew exactly where it was) wrote down the ingredients, and then my boyfriend threw the recipe away!!!! I frantically searched for it. You saved my life. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My story, too! I cut out the same back-of-box recipe years and years ago, and just recently lost it. Thank you for posting this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe. I make it a lot. I have other tabouli recipes but this is the easiest and best. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete