Thursday, January 27, 2011

Belgian Buttermilk Waffles with Glazed Bananas

Not my picture. We were too hungry to think of anything else but eating.
It's a snow day. School's out and the power is back on, so I hot meal sounded appetizing. We haven't had waffles for ages (trying to be more organized, I stored my waffle make some place very logical and then forgot where until just recently), so today seemed like the perfect time. After fighting with my husband over how to make waffles (he is the regular breakfast chef since I am not in any way, shape, or form a morning person), I headed to Epicurious to find a waffle recipe. I searched for "waffles," filtered results by "Quick & Easy," and then sorted by top rated. The winner, with 101 reviews:  Belgian Buttermilk Waffles with Glazed Bananas. I didn't have the buttermilk required for the batter, so I created a substitute by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk and let that sit for about five minutes. Other than that change, I followed the recipe. The batter was super easy to prepare and consisted mostly of ingredients I always have on hand - flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, butter, eggs - and was ready in just a few minutes. I'm suspicious of anything but syrup on my waffles/ pancakes, but I made the glaze since it, too, was so easy to prepare (butter, bananas, maple syrup). The waffles were really good - light and tasty. We will definitely be making them again. I'm anxious to try them with real buttermilk next time. I thought the glaze was okay. My teen wouldn't even try it - he's a pancake/waffle purist, too. My husband, who has a sweet tooth, liked the glaze a little more but probably not enough that we would make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment