Monday, December 6, 2010

Bad Things Happen, Harry Dolan

At the start of Bad Things Happen, Harry Dolan introduces David Loogan by telling us he "looks nothing at all like a man heading off to dig a grave."  We're not sure exactly who David Loogan is, but we want to find out.  As the story begins, Loogan submits a story to a mystery magazine and is subsequently given a job as an editor and befriends the publisher.  There's a murder, and David is a suspect, along with several other people.  In this literate, well-told tale--which had me stopping frequently to marvel over a well-crafted sentence or phrase--police detective Elizabeth Waishkey tries to discover the murderer and the unravel the mystery of David Loogan.  I don't know that I was very surprised at outcome, but I absolutely enjoyed the journey.  I don't often read mysteries, but I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment