Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pasta and Lentils, Sicilian Style

I love lentils. I love pasta. Who doesn't crave comfort food? Healthy comfort food is even better. Pasta and Lentils, Sicilian Style fits the bill exactly. This recipe is from The Washington Post Food section last December (there's a nice picture there too which I realized I probably shouldn't be copying without permission). The only meat in it is two tablespoons of pancetta so it could easily be omitted for a vegetarian meal. It's basically a lentil stew (onion, carrot, tomato puree) with broken pieces of thick spaghetti in it. Definitely drizzle it with olive oil and serve with grated Pecorino as recommended. I served this with a small green salad to start, some good Italian bread (homemade!), and a nice Italian red wine for a hearty, filling meal.

Full disclosure: I have not actually made this. My dear husband has made this several times, and it's been delicious each time. There's not a lot of "cooking" required, merely following easy steps. If you open the red wine while you're cooking, it's even easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment