Thursday, March 3, 2011

Invictus

I was under the mistaken impression that this was a Matt Damon movie about soccer. It's not. It's a Morgan Freeman movie about Nelson Mandela and how rugby (and Captain Matt Damon) brings South Africa together as a nation. I should have realized that from one look at the movie poster and the trailer, which I just watched. I don't even remember seeing the trailer when the movie came out. This movie did not penetrate my consciousness at all. Was the problem with me? In fact, the only real notice I took of it was at awards season last year, and it took me this long to get around to finally watching it. I did start the movie with an open mind though, ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Plot summary: The movie begins as Mandela is elected to the presidency of a badly divided South Africa. Mandela recognizes that rugby can be the thing that brings blacks and whites together. He's right! Roll credits.

Invictus is okay. It's Saint Nelson stretching out his arms and pulling the country into one big group hug - or high five - over a successful World Cup run. Freeman is good as Mandela and Damon is okay as the captain of the rugby team, but the movie is too long. It's interesting and there are some good moments, but it's predictable and not particularly moving. Like I said: it's okay. Catch it on cable if there's nothing else on.

No comments:

Post a Comment