Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Linguine with Pancetta and Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes


 Our go-to meal on busy weeknights is pasta with sauce (either Safeway Select or Classico) from a jar. It's fast and filling and satisfying. It's also so predictable. I had pancetta left over in the refrigerator from the Pasta and Lentils, Sicilian Style so I searched Epicurious for something quick and easy using ingredients I already had in the house. The ingredients - linguine, olive oil, garlic, pancetta or bacon, red pepper flakes, cherry tomatoes, grated cheese, and fresh basil - are pantry staples and summer garden bounty. It was good in February, but my mouth waters thinking of how it will taste this summer prepared with just-picked tomatoes and basil. I would not use canned tomatoes or dried basil for this recipe. There are so few ingredients that the ones you do use should be as fresh as possible.

Winter or summer, it can't be simpler to make. In the time the linguine cooks the sauce can be prepared. You heat the olive oil, sauté the garlic, add the pancetta and red pepper and cook until the pancetta is crisp, add the tomatoes and cook until soft (maybe 4ish minutes), and then add chopped basil and shredded Parmesan (please, please, please use only fresh), and salt and pepper to taste. It's oh-so-simple but good. I didn't love it (my husband did) but I loved how easy it was to make and that makes it a keeper in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment