Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Post Grad, Directed by Vicky Jenson

Post Grad got disappointing reviews when it was released, but the reviewer from The Washington Post said one of the bright spots in the film was the performance by Zach Gilford, known to Friday Night Lights fans as quarterback Matt Saracen. I LOVE FNL so I figured I had to come out to support #7. (I’m loyal if nothing else.) I sure hope he appreciates my loyalty, because it took a real effort to get through to the end of this film. Alexis Bledel tries her best as Ryden, the recent college grad, but I found her character’s whining insufferable. Ryden has her future planned out in her mind and, diploma in hand, she’s ready for her dreams to become reality. Of course, life doesn’t cooperate. Hilarity ensues. Or not. The movie isn’t funny, and the best thing about it is Zach Gilford as the best friend who suffers from unrequited love for Ryden. Anyone that’s been to the movies or watched T.V. can probably predict the plot and the travails poor Ryden has to overcome. I don’t mind predictable if it’s done well, funny, or moving. However, I didn’t find this movie to be any of those things, only tedious. Above all, I’m a sucker for a happy ending, predictable or not, and my heart was willing and eager for the pay-off.  Even that disappointed.  It’s a shame, too, because I had high hopes, despite the reviews, considering the cast includes Michael Keaton, Jane Lynch, Carol Burnett, and J.K. Simmons. They can’t rise above their material, unfortunately.

I’ll forgive you this time, 7, but only because you more than make up for it on FNL. Last season—so moving and so real. Thank you for that. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.



No comments:

Post a Comment