Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fruit of the Vine

All this posting and redesigning has made me thirsty.  So, I made some grape juice from the Concord grapes we received the last two weeks in our CSA delivery.  The family gathered together to de-stem the grapes (good thing we don't own a vineyard--I never thought I'd say those words--as slow as my teen was working), and then I covered them with tap water and cooked them over a low boil for fifteen-ish minutes.  I forgot to mash them before we boiled, so we mashed after they were done with no apparent ill effects.  Luckily, I didn't listen to my husband who kept insisting we needed "like ten cups of sugar."  Easy to add later if necessary, I wisely counseled.  So we boiled, mashed, and then strained into pitchers and refrigerated.  (I forgot how much grape juice stains!)  Now it's chilled, I have to say that it's quite tasty.  And jam-packed with anti-oxidants.

Yes, yes, the grape juice was good.  But it's been a long day so I opened a 2009 Marlena Torrontés from Argentina.  It's fruity and crisp.  It would be a great wine for happy hour on the deck or at the pool.  Not so bad for sitting at my laptop on a Wednesday night either.  Apparently, and I did not know this, Torrontés is only produced in Argentina.  In case you're interested:  http://www.torrontes.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment