Friday, October 8, 2010

Reluctantly Back to Reality

I'm just back from a super-relaxing Girls Weekend in Ft. Lauderdale.  If you ever head that way, I highly recommend the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort and Spa.

Notice my toes.  I had a pedicure at the spa the day after we arrived, and it was fifty minutes of bliss--cucumbers and a cool cloth on my eyes, a back massaging chair, and foot and leg massage.  Then I went to the sauna.  And then the pool.  Then the beach.  Just heaven.  There was not a single thing that I would have changed--except to stay another few days.


I had tons of work to do for my real job before I left.  As luck would have it, my body revolted against me and I came down with a terrible cold two weeks before I was supposed to leave.  Ugh.  My main concern, of course, was that I would recover in time for vacation.  All the work I had to do?  I planned to do it, but I also needed a new dress, purse, shirt, and shoes for vacation.  I thought long and hard about my priorities and then went shopping.  I did not get shoes, but I should have.


How cute are they?  They shout girls' weekend, don't they?  If they had a heel, they would have been mine.  I think I may still get them.  It can be my welcome home present to myself.

I'm slowly but surely returning to real life.  Besides my pedicure, I'm left with two tangible reminders of vacation.  The first?  Sand in my suitcase:
The second is my little beach bag that I bought at one of the gift shops at the hotel.  It was the perfect size to fit my book (Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis) and keys, ID, money, phone, etc, and to carry to the beach and lunch.  Despite it being October, I refuse to stop using it.  I may look like inappropriate for the season (it's boot time, isn't it?  October 1?), but I don't care.  Here it is:


My husband was very productive when I was away, thankfully.  I have my office painted now, and I absolutely LOVE the color.  It makes me happy just being in my office now.  It's Behr Rejuvenate.

The color is warm and soft and has been instrumental, along with my scented candles and the Spa channel on Sirius, for holding onto my vacation attitude.  Oh, and wine.

1 comment:

  1. Don't lose your chill! Marriott Harborbeach is heaven on earth. Highly recommend the Southwest Bistro salad and 3030 Restaurant is a must!

    ReplyDelete